海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: [转帖]偶然在flicker上看到一个故事,很不错。
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归酒吧           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 [转帖]偶然在flicker上看到一个故事,很不错。   
暗八仙

头衔: 海归上校

头衔: 海归上校
声望: 院士
性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2005/08/19
文章: 5359
来自: 北京
海归分: 76190

文章标题: [转帖]偶然在flicker上看到一个故事,很不错。 (2348 reads)      时间: 2010-8-22 周日, 01:26

作者:暗八仙海归酒吧 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/weave/13022864/

照片里的人气质真实也完满

Happy Mother's Day
OKINAWA - 1950 - My mother at 16 in her school picture.

War. Destruction. The loss of family. Famine. Beatings. Racism. Misogyny. Infidelity. Betrayal. Despite dealing with all these things, my mother continues to be a survivor.

Okinawa was originally part of the Kingdom of the Ryukyus, a peaceful, independent monarchy with its own language and customs – a bustling center of trade situated between Japan, Taiwan and Korea. After being forcibly assimilated by Japan, it was dismissed by the Japanese for decades as a backwater colony.

During World War II, the Japanese army took up defensive positions on the island chain, and my mother, at age 11, endured the Battle for Okinawa. The US Army estimates that 142,000 civilians, more than 1/3rd of the population, were killed...including tens of thousands of women and children. She witnessed her grandmother buried alive in a trench during an American bombing run - hearing her screams from beneath the dirt. Her brother, a 17-year-old student, was burnt to death by US troops with flamethrowers who mistook Okinawan school uniforms as Japanese military uniforms. Finally, to add insult to decades of poor treatment, once the US had captured the islands, the Japanese then bombed and shot up the territory indiscriminately.

These are only some the events she's told us about...there are far worse things that she's still not able to discuss, 60 years later.

After the war, my grandfather, an abusive alcoholic, beat her regularly, trying repeatedly to keep her at home and out of school. Defiant and fiercely independent, she ran away from home in order to attend college...not too long after this photo was taken. (Looking at this picture, you can feel the anger smouldering just under the surface, I think...)

She met and fell in love with my father, coming to the States in 1956 only to be subjected to intense anti-Japanese animosity (ironic for an Okinawan) and racism. Then my dad, the first man she let herself trust, became unfaithful and physically abusive. Rather than take it, she kicked him out.

In the 1980s, after years working as a hairdresser breathing in hairspray, she lost 60% of her lung tissue to chemically-induced emphysema. At first fearing she might die, she fought it, and is now healthy and still kicking at age 74.

By most people's standards, this woman has had a difficult life. Yet she shielded us kids from all strife, constantly put us before herself, made sure we grew up happy, educated and functional, and somehow found a way to put the three of us through college on her own as a hairdresser and single parent. She refuses to complain about anything, insisting she's had a good life.

She is a survivor.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I'm glad the last several have been better for you. Of all the people I know, you so deserve them.

作者:暗八仙海归酒吧 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
那个顶上热门话题里的 《 君看红颜弹指老(1) -- 阿甘正传〉是什么时候... 海归茶馆 2006-2-07 周二, 05:05
4月15日刚刚交完美国的税,痛定思痛,偶遇这篇有关中国的税务,转一下。 海归茶馆 2010-5-01 周六, 01:54
【SJ事件本色派发言】看了主坛/98数十个议论帖子,很失望。我的看法:Wh... 海归酒吧 2007-8-27 周一, 21:01
看来我不该在这晃。觉得7456的回贴比较清纯。偶比较搞笑--何儿猛,很贴切。 海归风情 2006-6-02 周五, 16:08
[转帖]偶见过的VC 海归商务 2011-2-13 周日, 16:07
[转帖] 偶像啊,为什么为什么狼教授能够研究得这么到位呢? 海归主坛 2010-5-18 周二, 09:23
[摆显帖]偶荣幸地获得邀请,参加战略研讨会,,,,,,,,,欧夜 海归主坛 2009-7-07 周二, 21:57
[转帖]偶有次开车,有个美女同事搭车,一坐我旁边,偶特紧张滴说:把安全套带上! 海归茶馆 2006-3-26 周日, 14:15

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 暗八仙离线  发送站内短信
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归酒吧           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件可以下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.